Saturday, February 28, 2009

Oven Risotto and Brussels Sprouts

Last night I made what my father would call "Detroit Rice" and what the rest of the world knows as risotto. (Don't ask.) Or maybe it should be known as cheater's risotto; no slaving over a hot stove stirring for 45 minutes for me! This version brings the mixture to a boil on the stove, then uses the oven to keep it hot while the rice is absorbing the broth. Super-easy.

This time I pre-cooked some Italian chicken (removed from the casing) and mushrooms, and let them absorb a little white wine. Then I started the dish as usual - sauteeing shallots and a little celery, mixing in the rice, adding the broth and bringing it all to a boil. Just before sticking it in the oven, I added the sausage and mushrooms, made sure it was still boiling, and then baked for 20-25 minutes. Stir in cheese, and voila!

The brussels sprouts were a crazy impulse purchase at the grocery store, wanting something different. The recipe is from 101 Cookbooks, but I think I didn't leave them in the initial covered cooking phase long enough, since they weren't as tender as I would've liked. They're awfully purty, though, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment