Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chickpea Salad and Vegetable Couscous

Two salad-y dishes tonight. The main dish was a hot couscous dish with vegetables, made up thusly:

Saute chopped shallots in olive oil, then stir in a couple canned anchovies until dissolved. Add sliced zucchini, stir occasionally until tender, then add chopped red pepper. Add chicken broth and squeeze in some lemon juice; bring to boil. Add couscous, stir, turn off heat, cover, and wait five minutes for water to absorb. Top with finely chopped parsley.

The other part was a Spicy Chickpea Salad from Gourmet magazine in the early 90s. I found it when searching for a recipe similar to Comet Ping Pong's salad, and made a few tweaks to match what I remember of the restaurant's version - adding green beans and chopped shallots. Tonight I also added a bit of lemon zest since I had it.

I didn't think about how tan the plate would look between the couscous and the chickpeas. Oops. The two parts were each satisfying, though I probably won't pair them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment