Sunday, January 25, 2009

Baked Penne

Tonight's dinner (served with a side of Heroes season 1) was baked penne, adapted from a Good Housekeeping recipe for Baked Ziti. Biggest changes: adding mushrooms, a dash of rosemary, and a splash of white wine to the marinara sauce; and adding thawed frozen spinach, freshly ground black pepper, dried basil, and dried thyme to the ricotta mixture.

Overall, not too bad. The Italian cheese blend on top got a little gummy when it started to cool off, and I think it definitely needed the veggie additions that I made. I could have thrown in a few more mushrooms, actually. Ultimately I think I wanted lasagna without quite so much work, and this dish didn't quite rise to that level. Must hold the proposed Lasagna Day with J. and D.

On the upside/downside: I have leftovers for 3 more meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment